Once in a while everyone need to rename Acumatica instance to the better name. In this article I want to share with you 2 ways how you can do that
Acumatica Configuration Wizard has a nice function to rename any of the installed instances. Renaming includes the Instance name and Virtual Directory Name. To do so:
- Open Wizard
- Go to “Perform Application Maintenance”
- Choose instance you want to rename
- Click “Instance Info”
- Use “Rename” links next to “Instance Name” or “Virtual Directory Name”
- Don’t forget to Save and close the window using OK button.
Sql Server Database should be renamed manually, but wizard can help to connect existing instance to the newly named database
If you changed the name of the WebSite or folder manually, you may see the following error in your configuration wizard when you open it next time: “Virtual directory with the name ‘<WEB SITE>/<VIRTUAL DIRECTORY>’ doesn’t exist in the web server.”
This may happen because Acumatica stores the web site and virtual directory names in Windows Registry. It is used to find the proper web application during maintenance from the wizard.
This error may also appears if the virtual directory has been completely deleted from the IIS server, so before proceed with other actions, make sure that your Web Site and Virtual Directory really exist and works.
Good news, that you can solve this problem pretty easily – rename the stored value in Windows Registry.
Be extra careful, these manipulations may break the functionality of your Acumatica and even entire server.
To to so, do the following:
- Open Registry Editor using “regedit” command
- Go to “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acumatica ERP”
- Locate the folder with the same name as your “Instance Name”
- Expand it and find the key with name “VirtDirName”
- Double click on it, rename it and save
- Open Acumatica Wizard and refresh the list of instances.
If everything is good, you error should be disappeared by now.
2 Replies to “Rename Acumatica Instance”
Great timing with your post.. Needed this info. Thanks Pink Fluffy Rabbit!